Saint Martin de Sescas
St. Martin church
The church of St. Martin in Saint Martin de Secas dates back to 1108.
In those years Guglielmo IX d'Aquitania, known as Guglielmo il Trovatore, governed Aquitaine.
He was the grandfather of the famous Alienor d'Aquitania and has gone down in history for his lack of sympathy for the clergy and for his love for the joys of earthly life.
Perhaps this is why the Church of Secas is practically deprived - in the decorative plant that has come down to us - of decorations directly related to religion.
No devils, no snakes that bite the breasts of sinners or scenes of the new and old testament.
Indeed, in the capital that supports the arch of the fake small portal on the right we find two tender lovers intent unequivocally to enjoy each other's company.
She, crouched on his knees, wears a dress with exaggeratedly wide sleeves, as the fashion for the ladies of the time prescribed.
We are not at the levels of audacity of the Fuentidueña modillions but the picture shows the climate of the time in Aquitaine from which the troubadours and the concept of courtly love spread around Europe.
The entrance portal with 5 rows of arches decorated with 'serial' figures is one of the most surprising in Aquitaine.
On the five archways there are geometric decorations, hares, birds and a series of 16 characters, perhaps giants, on the outer arch.
A porch protected until 1874 the main entrance and it is for this reason that the sculptures have reached us in a relatively good shape.
The removal of the porch was not a great idea: the insults of the elements have already significantly degraded the figures of the capitals and perhaps it is appropriate to provide for some shelter or our grandchildren can admire the portal only on our pictures!
The corbels that overlook the portal are almost unreadable.
Among them we recognize the bicaudata siren, two exhibitionists (male and female) and the dolio player already met in Beautiran.