Basílica de los Santos Hermanos Mártires, Vicente, Sabina y Cristeta
Avila shown to visitors its impressing walls.
Since 1985 it is on the UNESCO list of the sites of humanity.
At the dissolution of the Roman Empire, Avila was occupied by the Visigoths and then by the Arabs. It was one of the key cities of the Reconquista. Around 1050 and for about 30 years it became a sort of 'no man's land', a frontier of conflict between the kingdom of Castile and the Arabs. At the end of the eleventh century with the proceeding of the 'Reconquista', it became a relatively safe part of the kingdom and the city was repopulated: the imposing walls were built and religious buildings began.
Among the first and most important, the Basilica of San Vincente that was supposed to house the precious relics of the martyrs Vicente, Sabina and Cristeta (martyrs of the III century) who had been transferred to Burgos to escape the Arab danger. The church has evident Gothic elements: a style that was then affirmed but the Romanesque style is still prevalent.
Side by side to Gothic elements we find the typical Romanesque signs starting from the external arcade gallery but above all on the capitals that decorate the church and even the inside women's gallery.
The church was among the first objects of a modern 'respectful restoration', careful to preserve the original features rather than redo them again (as happened, for example, to Fromista ...).
The church is built with the use of 'piedra caleńa', a local material with a strong iron content. The red streaks of the yellowish stone - often enhanced by the pictorial decoration - give a dramatic tone to the internal capitals that retain - many more - the coloring, as was common in the Middle Ages.
Of course, a two-tailed mermaid could not be missing ...